When it comes to getting into nursing school, a good admission essay is at the center of the decision. An admission essay can help or hurt students who wish to get into nursing school. The essay is not only about the content but about other important components that let the admission board know that students are serious about entering their programs and that they will be valuable assets as well. It is important for potential nursing students to know that there are important elements needed to write the perfect admission essay to get into nursing school.
How to Write a Nursing School Application Essay
The application essay is a requirement that applicants must complete as a part of the admission packet. Some call this essay the personal essay, letter of intent, or statements of purpose. In essence, the application essay is the applicant’s chance to plea with the admission board for admission into their nursing program. Applicants explain their reasons for becoming nurses and explain why this program can help them achieve their dreams.
It is important to know what elements are needed to write a successful application essay. One of the most important things that applicants need to remember is to plan the essay carefully. Making an outline of important items to include is very important to the success of the essay. It is important to adhere to the length of the essay so that the board does not throw it out. If the application says 500 to 1000 words, it means just that and nothing more or less. The applicant should include information about accomplishments in the applicant’s life and the hopeful accomplishments for the future.
Applicants should only include a short personal statement about them and reserve the majority of the essay for information about experiences that have shaped them. They should use other parts of the application to cover information that does not make the applicant stand out from other applicants. Remember, admission officers read numerous essays so it is important to stand out from other applicants.
Provide a structurally sound application. Make sure that the application essay has the proper spelling, format, and grammatical structure before turning in the finished product. An essay with errors will make the officers believe that the applicant may not be a desirable nurse. Keep the paragraphs short so that they are easy to read for the officers.
What to Include in a Nursing School Essay
A nursing school applicant should include the following in the nursing school essay:
- Things that interest the applicant about the nursing industry
- Reasons for choosing the specific nursing program
- A clear view of the future vision of the applicant
- Previous preparation to become a successful nurse
- Superior personal accomplishments and standouts (test scores, transcripts, etc.)
- Experience with medical training and patient care (volunteer opportunities, internships, etc.)
- Academic interests
- Character traits that focus on desires and strengths to become a nurse
- Reasons the officers should accept the application
Tips on How to Write a Nursing School Application Essay
The purpose of the admissions essay is to prove that the application is a worthy selection for the nursing program. Applicants are only allowed a few words to tell their personal stories, but their rejection or acceptance depends on it. The following tips will help applicants write a successful nursing school application essay:
- Choose information wisely. Make sure that the information included paints a vivid picture of past and future accomplishments so that the admissions officers are impressed.
- Select a strong essay topic. Applicants want to be remembered for their essay well after the officers have read it. Make sure to stay on the topic and provide strong supporting information within the paragraphs.
- Provide a glimpse of the applicant’s life. The admissions officers do not want to be bored with the mundane details but rather the important things that make the applicant unique.
- Intrigue the reading in the first few lines. Capture the essay reader within the first few lines so that they want to continue reading.
- Make sure the essay has structure. The essay should include an introduction, body, and conclusion that is easy to read and understand. Make sure to add a memorable statement to the conclusion so that the essay readers do not forget the essay.
The application essay is a very important aspect of the nursing school application process. It can make or break the chance that an applicant gets into nursing school. The applicant should plan accordingly before writing the essay and make sure that it is rich with intriguing information. It is important to make sure that the essay is error free. This is the only chance that an applicant has to impress the admission board.
Thinking about going to Nursing School?
Are you contemplating going to nursing school, or are you actually in nursing school right now? Nursing school can be challenging, especially if you do not know what to expect. Here is a great guide by S. L. Page BSN, RN called “How to Pass Nursing School“. This book gives you detailed information about how to pass nursing school from beginning to end. S.L. Page, the creator of this website, complied all the information students what to know about nursing school into one easy to read guide. She gives in depth information on how to succeed in nursing school.
S.L. Page graduated from nursing school with honors and passed the NCLEX-RN on her first try. In this ebook, she reveals the strategies she used to help her succeed.
Here is what the book looks like:
3 Ways to Write Great Nursing Application Essays
A career in nursing can be one of the most rewarding experiences of your life. You get to make a difference in patients’ lives every time you go to work. You can inspire others to continue striving forward when they have given up. You can even help bring people back from the edge of death! But first, you have to get accepted into nursing school. Most nursing programs require applicants to submit an essay as part of the application process. This essay is intended to show why the individual is worthy of joining the nursing profession, so it is crucial that it is well-written. There are 3 ways you can ensure your essay is one of the best.
- Showcase Your Dedication to Service. Nursing programs want candidates that show initiative, competence, and compassion. You can demonstrate these with your essay by giving examples of how you are proactive in helping others; your dedication to helping others; and your willingness to serve your community. For instance, if you have helped to organize a canned-food drive, or work at a soup kitchen, you would want to discuss these in your essay. Nursing is a service-based profession, so you want to focus on your service-based accomplishments. You get to talk about your academic accomplishments in a different part of the application.
- Tell Your Story. Nursing schools want to know that they are accepting candidates that have great potential to make a difference. You can show your ability to do so by telling your personal story. Write about significant events that led to your decision to apply for nursing school. If you had a person who inspired you, talk about his/her influence. You want to show the admissions board that you are the perfect candidate, so talk about your motivation and drive. This will help them see that you are exactly the type of student they are seeking.
- Proofread Before You Submit. Nursing schools are highly competitive, and they often have waiting lists for entrance. You can help bypass the waiting list by taking the time to make sure your essay is free from errors. This adds the fishing touches to your essay, and shows attention to detail (a necessary skill for a nurse). You may have an amazing story to tell, but if your essay is filled with errors, it becomes difficult to read, which may result in you being wait-listed.
The nursing school admission essay is an essential part of the application process. It gives you the opportunity to demonstrate your merit and share your story. If you follow these 3 simple tips, you can write an admissions essay that will help you earn a spot in the nursing program of your choice.