In the event of inclement weather, any school closings will be announced via our website by 2 PM on weekdays and by 8 AM on weekends.
|Please download a copy of our Parent Handbook for important information regarding our policies and what to expect at RSM|
Welcome to the Russian School of Mathematics! We look forward to a productive and happy relationship with your family. The following policies have been created to help ensure the smooth operation and safety of our program.
After completing your online application you will receive a first email confirming the application. Once your enrollment is processed, you will receive a second e-mail confirming your child’s spot in the class and providing your Smart Tuition Family ID and instructions to log into the Smart Tuition website (your account with Smart Tuition is automatically created).
If your child attends an eligible class, you will receive a link to our "Homework Online" program a few weeks before your first class. Homework online gives students real time feedback and parents unparalleled transparency into their child's math development. We are expanding it slowly to all of our middle and high school classes.
Please remember that an application alone does not guarantee you a spot in one of our classes. A registration fee is required in order for class placement to be finalized.
All students enrolled for the fall & spring semesters are required to pay a $100 non-refundable annual registration fee. This fee reserves your place in class. A placement in class is not guaranteed until the registration fee is received.
The fee is reduced to $80 for students registering after January 1st and to $40 after April 1st.
No registration fee is required to be paid for Summer School.
Tuition & Payment Policies
RSM has partnered with Smart Tuition, to allow our parents more flexibility in paying tuition. Once your application is accepted, you will receive an email from RSM with details on how to log into your Smart Tuition account, review your bill & make payments.
- Payment Plans. Smart Tuition offers two payment plans for the academic year:
A Semester Plan. Fall tuition (Sep to Jan) is due by Aug 1st & Spring Tuition (Feb to Jun) is due by Jan 1st.
A Monthly Plan. A monthly installment plan is available but in order to set it up Smart Tuition charges an additional fee of $45 per family per year. Parents pay one month in advance with a last payment in April.
- Tuition is Charged One Month Ahead. Regardless of payment plan, all tuition is charged one month ahead (so for example October tuition will be charged no later than September 1st, and September tuition is due in August). Charging one month ahead allows RSM to plan ahead and enforce our cancellation policy.
- Joining Mid-Year. For students who start mid-year, tuition is prorated based on the first class attended and the number of classes remaining in the year. No pro-ration is made for students who miss classes throughout the year.
- Late Fees. All tuition is due on the 1st day of the month. Smart Tuition charges a $35 late payment fee on the 10th of the month.
- Payment Methods. SmartTuition can process payment by mail, online or over the phone via a check, bank account or credit card. Payments by check or ACH debit are free, but Smart Tuition does charge a credit card processing fee for credit card payments. SmartTuition can also process cash payments, but will charge a $4.99fee for cash payments of up to $1,000.
- Paying By Check. Smart Tuition offers both a 24 hour automated telephone payment method and accepts checks by mail. If paying by check please include the Family ID in the memo field.
Phone: (888) 868-8828 (please have your Family ID and checkbook ready)
East Coast: Smart Tuition, P.O. Box 11731, Newark, NJ 07101-4731 OR
West Coast: Smart Tuition, P.O. Box 54228, Los Angeles, CA 90054-0228
- Returned Check or Failed ACH Fee. Smart Tuition charges a $30 fee for each returned check or failed auto-debit. Smart Tuition charges a convenience fee for any credit card payments. Please be careful when entering your routing and account numbers online.
Withdrawal Refunds and Cancellation Policy
We are committed to making sure every child has a great experience at RSM. Sometimes we may need work together to find the right class options for your child. Please get in touch with us early if you have concerns about your child’s progress or are in any way dissatisfied.
Cancellation policies are determined by student status at the time of withdrawal. Students are considered new during their first 5 months at RSM. After that, all students are considered to be continuing/returning.
New students can cancel their enrollment any time during their first 4 months (within the first 16 lessons). Your child may attend the next 4 classes following the cancellation notice. Any remaining tuition (after the 4 lessons) will be refunded. The registration fee WILL NOT be refunded.
We believe that Mathematics cannot be taught in the space of a few lessons and we ask that continuing students familiar with RSM make at least a term based commitment to the program and will only refund tuition for continuing students during the first six lessons of the year (see below).
If you do decide to withdraw your child from school, please email our school with:
- Your child's full name
- The date of the last class he/she attended
- The reason for withdrawal.
We always appreciate any feedback, so please tell us your honest feedback.
Withdrawal Policy For Continuing Students
Continuing students refund amount is prorated based on the time of the withdrawal. Please see details below:
Refund of the Fall Term (September - January) will be processed only after the school receives a written notification as follows:
- 100% of tuition (all 5 months) is refunded if the cancellation notification is received before the start of classes
- 80% of tuition (the last 4 months) is refunded if the cancellation notification is received before the second lesson
- 60% of tuition (the last 3 months) is refunded if the notification is received before the third lesson
- 40% of tuition (the last 2 months) is refunded if the notification is received before the fourth lesson
- 20% of tuition (the last month) is refunded if the notification is received before the sixth lesson
- There are NO REFUNDS for the Fall semester after the 6th lesson
For continuing students withdrawing during the Spring Term (February - June), a FULL REFUND will be issued if a withdrawal notice is received by Lesson 20. After Lesson 20 no refunds will be issued for the Spring Term.
RSM-San Jose was opened in 2006 by Russian School of Mathematics co-founder Irina Khavinson in response to the demand for after-school math enrichment for K-12 students in the San Jose area. RSM is fully accredited by WASC (Western Association of Schools and Colleges), ensuring that each aspect of our program has been carefully evaluated against state standards and that local schools accept and acknowledge our transcripts.
Today the school serves over 1,600 students from San Jose and the surrounding communities of Cupertino, Sunnyvale, Santa Clara, Palo Alto, Saratoga, Los Altos, Los Gatos, Campbell, Mountain View, Milpitas and Fremont.
As a branch of the award-winning Russian School of Mathematics, we combine a systematic math curriculum with exceptional teaching to help students build a solid math foundation and lifelong critical thinking skills.
Our program provides rigorous mathematical training that will help your child excel at Algebra, Geometry and more. Whether your child needs to brush up on math or does not feel challenged in school, we can help. We provide something that traditional math tutors can't: the opportunity to study mathematics in a fun and naturally challenging classroom environment where students benefit from each other's progress and make friends. If you're looking for math tutoring in San Jose, consider the benefits of classroom enrichment.
Our math school provides a world-class mathematics education with an emphasis on problem-solving skills and critical thinking. The RSM Curriculum includes all requirements for ISEE, SAT-I, SAT-II, ACT and AP, as well as opportunities to prepare for and participate in Mathematics Competitions and Olympiads.
RSM-San Jose gives children a solid mathematics education and the skills they need to succeed on the SAT. The results speak for themselves. Just compare RSM's average math SAT score of 774 (out of 800) to California's average math SAT score of 516!